“We left the Packard on the street and took two rooms at a boardinghouse where the wallpaper slumped and the lightbulbs buzzed and browned.”
Isn’t that wonderful description? Sparse, but a picture immediately forms in my mind. I love especially “lightbulbs buzzed and browned”. It’s from So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger. A book that I’m enjoying a lot even though it’s taking me forever to read it. (Not the fault of the book.)
Just wanted to share. That is all.… Read the rest
My gym was packed tonight. I had to wait ten minutes just to use one of the lowest-on-the-totem-pole cardio machines: the stairmaster. Which can only mean one thing: Happy New Year!
We’re a few steps into 2009 and, personally speaking, so far so good. My husband and I rang in the New Year by making a nice dinner (don’t ask me what—it’s only been six days and I can’t remember. But it involved the stove and more than three ingredients, so it was real fancy pants) and watching Back to the Future. Boy, that movie holds up well. And the soundtrack: awesome.… Read the rest
Five things that made me smile/laugh/happy this week:
1. Yesterday when I checked the mail, it was all holiday cards.
2. First snowboarding day trip of the season last weekend. We did our favorite weekend routine: Pack the car the night before, roll out of bed at 5:30am, get on the road by 6. Get to the ski resort around 7:30, have coffee and breakfast, be at the lifts first thing when they open. Snowboard until we’re pooped, head home early afternoon, and beat the traffic. It was an excellent day of snowboarding–3 inches of snow the night before, and a light snowfall while we were out.… Read the rest
Five things that made me happy this week:
1. Snow, glorious snow. There’s nothing that will snap you into the holiday spirit faster than decorating the Christmas tree with a blanket of snow outside. The recent snowfall also means it’s quite possible I’ll be snowboarding this weekend!
2. Online shopping. Almost done with my gift list. Should I be worried that I have my credit card info memorized now?
3. Tim Holtz 12 tags of Christmas. I am totally hooked on this. His explanations combined with the photos make the projects really easy to follow. And I’m brimming with ideas I want to try now.… Read the rest
Last Saturday, this is what we woke up to. Beautiful way to head into the month of December don’t you think? (Nevermind that today, in the actual month of December, it was in the high 60s and the snow has all melted.) Snowy days are great for bundling up in sweats and slippers, holing up in my office with a steaming hot mocha, and writing writing writing. I’d like to say that’s how I spent this last snowy Saturday, but it’s not. My brother and family were still visiting in the morning and after we saw them off, there was laundry, vacuuming up the feathers from decorating the dog, a general straightening of the house, and I finished reading my friend’s novel in progress for our writer’s meeting on Sunday.… Read the rest
Join my mailing list:
Sign up for the latest news about my books, giveaways, and more fun stuff.