Five happy things from the week:
1. Small Graces. Author and illustrator Grace Lin is auctioning off an original 5×5 piece of artwork every month with 100% of the proceeds benefiting The Foundation for Children’s Books. (This is the same Grace Lin who co-founded the Robert’s Snow fundraiser.) Over the last year I’ve noticed quite a number of authors and illustrators using their blogs or internet presence to bring attention to and/or raise money to support various causes. I think this is a wonderful and amazing thing.
2. Along the lines of wonderful and amazing things that writers are doing, fAiRy gOdSisTeRs, iNk has announced their 2nd Annual SCBWI Summer Conference Scholarship.… Read the rest
Five happy things from my week:
1. Really good writing week. Really good. And I intend to have a good writing weekend too. I’m getting better at making my writing time a priority and not feeling (too) guilty about it. It helps that I’m waiting for the next batch of my current proofreading project to arrive. It sure is easier to devote time to writing when it doesn’t have to compete with work obligations.
2. I’m getting a free book! I love free books. There are five books coming out this year that I’m already looking forward to reading: Silksinger by Laini Taylor (the sequel to Blackbringer), Lips Touch also by Laini Taylor (I think this is going to be a good year for her), the sequel to Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.… Read the rest
Five things that made me happy this week:
1. Snow, glorious snow. There’s nothing that will snap you into the holiday spirit faster than decorating the Christmas tree with a blanket of snow outside. The recent snowfall also means it’s quite possible I’ll be snowboarding this weekend!
2. Online shopping. Almost done with my gift list. Should I be worried that I have my credit card info memorized now?
3. Tim Holtz 12 tags of Christmas. I am totally hooked on this. His explanations combined with the photos make the projects really easy to follow. And I’m brimming with ideas I want to try now.… Read the rest
1. Well, I’ll be! There’s someone checking in on this blog. (I’m guessing. . . Mom?) So a high five to anonymous for the push on the tush to stop neglecting this space.
2. I just saw a sneak peak of my friend Rachel’s second picture book Building on Nature: The Life of Antoni Gaudi, (out next spring I believe). Beautiful! Beautiful, beautiful. I am so excited for her. It is going to be another gorgeous book. Her first book Through Georgia’s Eyes is a real gem. It’s the story of the life of Georgia O’Keeffe. Rachel has a knack for telling these artists’ stories in a simple and poetic fashion.… Read the rest
Join my mailing list:
Sign up for the latest news about my books, giveaways, and more fun stuff.